Thursday, February 12, 2015

Crochet Heart Headband

Did you catch those sweet little crochet hearts I have been making? I posted a picture earlier in the week on Instagram and Facebook because I was so excited.


The real surprise is that I have finally figured out a simple crochet project. It is no secret that I have been trying to teach myself crochet for the past 10+ years and own an army of "Learn to crochet" and "Crochet for Dummies" books.

Sadly, nothing seemed to help.

My granny squares turned out all wonky and I was frustrated.

I watched various family members with their crochet projects as I was growing up. I remember the amazingly delicate lace snowflakes my Uncle created for his Christmas Tree. Then there was my Aunt on the other side of the family who was famous for making us all afghans. But, I never asked for anyone to teach me. Now I really regret that.

I was introduced to knitting as a young child by a babysitter and I have loved the clack of the needles and rhythmic work of knitting and purling ever since. No one else in my family knitted and I was always the fiber art oddball. But when it came to crochet, I was all thumbs.

I stumbled across a photo last week of someone learning how to crochet these hearts... they posted their progress and even linked to the site where they found the pattern  and a great video tutorial. The gal over at EverythingEtsy.com has a wealth of simple crochet patterns, and other craft ideas for that matter. After watching her video a few times, it all clicked.


Of course, after I had made about 10 of them, my husband looked at me and asked, "So, what do plan to do with those?"

Um...

I could string them up and create a banner... but, didn't really want to. No, I hadn't really thought of what I wanted to make them for. For me it was all about FINALLY being able to make them.

Of course my daughter had a solution for me. "Mom, are you making me a headband?"

"Sure, honey." Yes, that seemed like a perfect place to start at least.


So I hunted around for a little bit of spare FOE. This happens to be from my stash of cloth diaper supplies... that I never got around to using. Yeah, don't think you are going to take up a new sewing hobby when  a baby comes. Sleep is much more important.


I measured out a bit of FOE to fit my daughter, then tacked my little crochet hearts down to the elastic. Keep in mind that the FOE will stretch, so put them closely together or make the FOE a little longer.


And that is how our little Crochet Heart Headband was born. Seems like it has been over 10 years in the making...




Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!