Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Wordless Wednesday - Weekly Blood Tests


This Wordless Wednesday is a little more word full than normal, but I didn't want to post these without an explanation. I share these for others who worry about doing blood tests on their children. It can be hard at first, but it is necessary to keep them healthy.

Both of my kids have Phenylketonuria (PKU), an inborn error of metabolism, so they both have their blood tested every week. This helps to keep them healthy and developing normally. We warm up my daughter's foot with a warm washcloth to help.

A lancet makes a small poke.

The blood is collected on a Guthrie card much like the ones used to do Newborn Screening before your baby leaves the hospital. That is when babies are diagnosed with PKU. The difference is that this one only has one circle to fill.


Since my son is older, he can do the pokes on his finger much like a diabetic can. He prefers it to his foot. We will send off the test papers to the state lab and within a week will have the results. His dietary therapy changes depending on those levels.

Pin It

11 comments:

  1. ow!! I am always sad for my little guy when he gets blood drawn. They kept taking it almost daily the first week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What strong little ones you have :) I am soo happy for the good medical technology they have out there! New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm diabetic so I know all about testing blood. I'm really glad I don't have to do it on my kids though. It looks like your kids are little troopers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, What a brave little guy! I've never heard of that one. You are one tough cookie! I don't know how I would react if I had to do that to my children. I truly admire you. Whatever that disease is I hope they cure it. New follower here too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you have a great attitude and your kids do too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh poor babies!! I know I hate having my finger pricked..what little troopers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh poor things with so many pokes! I'm sure it's got to be harder for Mom though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor babies...you have a tough little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor babies! Our little guy gets his finger poked every time we go to his oncologist and loves to watch the tech 'milk' his finger for collection. Crazy, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your little sweeties still smiling. I took my son for blood a couple months back and it took 4 people to hold him. I agree you brave little ones.

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!