Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Crescent Rolls - Simpler Than I Thought


I love bread. I would like to work my way to making all our own bread products. Homemade is so much better than the stuff available in the store.

Since the weather has been pretty yucky here (rain, rain, go away!) I made soup for dinner Monday night. I thought a lovely batch of rolls would go nicely. There was a easy crescent roll recipe in my Cook's Country magazine from Nov. '08. I just adore that magazine. Well, it was everything they said it was - Easy!

It started off with a warm 1/2 c. of half & half mixed with 7 Tbsp of melted butter. -isn't that just sinful? Then dissolve the 1 tsp. of yeast ... and a tsp. of sugar. Whisk in 1 egg & 1 egg yolk. Then with the stand mixer add in the 2 c. AP flour, 3/4 c. bread flour 1 Tbsp salt, remaining 1/4 c. sugar. See how easy that was?


My dough was really slack, but I had faith and let it go through it's first rise. Place it in a 200 degree preheated oven , then turn it off. Mine took 2 hours to rise.


It didn't rise very much... I guess just enough. Formed into a 12" circle, I used my silicone pizza cutter (hey, thanks DiGiorno for the fabu cutter!) to make 16 slices. Spread 1/2 Tbsp of softened butter on the top. (less than called for in the original recipe) Then, this is the way we roll. Let those rise for another hour or more. Then put a milk wash on top and pop in the oven.


350 degrees for 20 minutes with a little turn mid way through. Not bad, huh? They were really good and went really fast

How did I change it up? Well, the bread flour made them denser, and I added a touch more so the dough was workable. I used less butter schmeared on top - it was already pretty greasy. I also opted for a milk milk instead of a egg white wash before baking. I wanted mine a bit softer on top.

So, how about Crescent Rolls for dinner tonight?
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. YUMMY! My mom used to make these all the time when I was growing up. Love them!

    matt4melis at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!