Sunday, January 16, 2011

Mamavation Monday - Remember Childhood?

Mamavation

As a child, what did you enjoy doing? What made your heart sing for no other reason than you really enjoyed it. Childhood is a time uncomplicated by most health problems, work or many obligations. When I was younger I remember playing outside for hours. I had a hand-me-down yellow and green bike that was my whole world. There were some days I barely moved off of that banana seat. There was a church parking lot directly across from our house and I rode around and around it. Then when I started elementary school there was a jump rope club during recess and directly after school. So, when I couldn't be on my bike I was jumping my heart out with my red and white jump rope... courtesy of the American Heart Association.

The other week I pulled out a jump rope and was filled with nostalgia. The problem was, when I started jumping my shins screamed,  my lunges were burning for air and I just couldn't keep it up. The heavy thud as I hit the floor were also not appealing. What happened? Okay, besides the added weight, age and time... Where did the love go?

This week as I hoped to join the rank of Mamavation Moms before me, I thought a lot about my lost love of moving and exercise. During hazing I came to enjoy the jumping jacks and butt kickers. They were surprisingly fun. The planks and crunches were harder and left me feeling pretty weak. I wonder what happened to that little girl who loved to move and did so all day long. At this point I still don't know the results for campaign 7, and that is okay. Regardless of the outcome, I want to find the little girl in me who still loves her bike and can't jump high enough.

...and now for the moment of truth. Here in all my BEFORE glory, is the real me.


Now I understand why folks look so unhappy in their before pictures. Oh, my! I just have to remember who I am losing this weight for



This is part of my first requirement for the Move it & Lost it Challenge ... or my first step as Mamavation Mom. Either way, take a look and know the next time you see this, it there will be less of me to love.


And my measurements are:
bust - 41.5 inches
waist - 42.5 inches
hips - 48 inches
thighs - 29.5 inches
arms - 14 inches
calves - 17 inches

My starting weight for the Move it and Lose it Challenge is:

 
A loss of 1.2 lbs!! 
Woo-hoo! - and the return of the striped socks.

 I want to thank Earth Footwear  for sponsoring the Move it and Lose it Challenge and for encouraging  all of us to live a healthier lifestyle. You can chat with them on twitter as @EarthFootwear.

Last Week's Goals
  • Complete the Yoplait Tune Up this week
  • Continue the EA Sports Active workouts for the week (4 total)
  • Meal Plan and log my food intake for the week
  • Get 1 hour of walking, jogging or running a day
  • Increase my water consumption and continue with the no soda, no alcohol rule.
I had a great week! I finished up my yogurt challenge and though I enjoyed it, I want to cut out the sugar and HFCs, so will be looking at other breakfast options. I completed my daily Mamavation hazing, jumping jacks, planks, crunches, squats and even tacked some Mt. Climbers. Good times. I did keep better track of my food and stuck to my water rule, but I didn't get in the 1 hr. of walking or jogging a day. I used the weather as an excuse, but I need to put on my big girl panties and just do it!

This Week's Goals
  • Cook my way through the Skinny Bitch in the Kitchen book (vegan cooking)
  • Continue the EA Sports Active workouts for the week (4 total)
  • Carefully monitor my portion sized and not eat over 1500 calories a day.
  • Get 1 hour of walking, jogging or running a day, with aid of the treadmill.
  • Increase my water consumption and continue with the no soda, no alcohol rule.
I should get my copies of Wii Let's Dance 2 and Kid's Let's Dance. So, I hope to get some good quality time in with my kids and some dancing. I am hopeful it will be a great week and I hope to see a 2 lb drop. I was 1 lb under that goal last week.

I tried my first Skinny Bitch in the Kitch recipe... I tried the French Scramble and my DH didn't even miss the eggs. - It substitutes firm tofu and tumeric for the eggs. Yum! Add to that some hot water with lemon, berry smoothie and an avocado and you have a great Sunday brunch.


There is still time to vote, and I could really use your support to be one of the next Mamavation Moms. Please vote for @notimeMom
Pin It

25 comments:

  1. Avocado - yum! You are focused and on the move - great job!! Good luck with tomorrow, I know you're nervous. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl! I quoted a couple of lines of this on Twitter. Just love your realization of wanting to be that little girl again. So great. I totally relate. Let's strive for it!

    Also - love your socks!!

    OMG I HAVE TO GET that cookbook!! I love the title and vegan cooking, I'm there! Thanks for mentioning it!

    Do you have time to get that one hour in? I don't want to discourage you getting movement in, I just want to see you feel good about completing your goals. Can you realistically do that? Just checkin'.

    Have a great week! Congrats on the weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pictures. Yeah, I know these are the before pictures, but they are quite before pictures. Love u no matter what and Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was SUCH a tomboy when I was little! Always outside, always doing SOMETHING. You're right -- over the years, somehow we let ourselves lose that love of movement. I love your before pics -- especially the one with the kids, you have a BEAUTIFUL personality so it's no wonder you have such a beautiful family to boot :) GOOD LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to love running as a child! I ran and ran and even wanted to join cross country in middle school, but had already became so inactive that I was too out of shape! I loved this post, thanks for walking me down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did you arrive at 1500 calories per day? Because I'm on a low activity and gentle loss plan and I'm allowed 1500 per day. And I weigh 50 pounds less... You have to be careful not to eat too little and send your body into starvation mode and not lose ANY weight.

    I don't mean to sound preachy, but I know my husband had an issue with this until he did the math. :(

    ~Erin @ http://dreamingwithmidnite.com
    TwitterID: Midnite592

    ReplyDelete
  7. These is a great post, sometimes when I am running after logan I think about being a child again myself. Then I think about how out of shape I am and how I am so glad I am getting healthy now so I can after Logan now. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those socks!!! :) Scramble looks scrumptious! Keep up the fantastic work---yes, it is all about remembering why we are doing it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed your post.
    I am a fellow Purex Insider
    I just started following on GFC
    Tammilee
    www.tammileetips.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best of luck this week! I know it's been hard and the hazing hasn't helped (sorry about that LOL!) but you rocked it and were always begging for more! You've done so well this far, don't lose that wonderful momentum and keep smiling!
    BTW, I love your socks! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved playing road hockey with the boys as a little girl - organized and unorganized sports... ahhhh! So fun!
    Your striped socks are so cute - I love them! Me wants a pair!
    Have a great week & good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck tomorrow and I love your pictures with the socks, you, and your family... good all around!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WooHoo for the return of the striped socks! Love them!!! I had a purple and white banana seat bike that I rode everywhere. My sister and I were barely inside...I hope I can find that inner love again too. Good Luck tomorrow, fingers crossed for you. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to love riding my bike. I finally got a new bike in August after years of not having one. Half a mile into my ride and I thought my legs were going to fall off! I'm going to have to work up to longer rides.

    Congrats on the loss and on finishing the yogurt challenge! Can I suggest Kefir as a breakfast opition? It is seriously some amazing stuff. I believe it is sugar free as well, and it is packed with probiotics and active cultures! (I have a giveaway coming up, look for it!)

    Good luck tomorrow, my vote has been cast and all that's left to do is wait! (And tweet.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, your socks rock.
    And so did this post - what a wonderful thought to ponder today - when did I stop loving that constant activity and movement of childhood?
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So excited to see if you win tonight. Love your photo with the kids. You have such a great plan to succeed even if you are not chosen. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post! Your kiddos are adorable!
    Great job on your loss and your accomplishments thus far, I look forward to seeing your success in the future. Whether you are one of the next Mamavation Mom or not, the Sistas are here for you and will support you on your journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are doing so GREAT!!! I love seeing the changes you've made :) Congrats on your loss and good luck tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The hazing was hard, but the jumping jacks made me feel like a kid again... the girls giggled and I giggled every time I did them! Loved it!

    I love the socks in your pics!! Can't wait to see the afters!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I definitely want to go back to my childhood movements too...definitely do the just dance games with the kids...its a lot of fun and a good workout. Good luck tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Whoah congrats!! I hear you about finding the little girl that wanted to move all day....can't believe I studied ballet for 10 years and now my back and abdominals scream if I tie my shoes....sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  22. good luck with the party tonight and i think you have awesome goals you are going to do great, thank you for your advice on my post

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the smiles in your pictures. You are doing awesome! The cookbook sounds interesting. I look forward to hearing more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the smiles on your babies face and yours such a pretty smile.

    I should have used socks on my pick instead of my unruley naked toes...

    http://thebabysteppers.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats on your loss! Look at you go. I'm loving the lemon in the water. I've really been trying that out this past week. Good luck on your goals!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!