Sunday, October 7, 2012

Chicago Cutlery DesignPro Knives - My Final Thoughts

This is my 3rd and final post on the Chicago Cutlery DesignPro Knives I received. But, you will probably see them in my kitchen and in future recipe and demo posts to come. Why? Because I have fallen in love with these knives over the past 2 months.

I was sent the Chef Knife, Bread Knife and Parer to try out in my kitchen as I worked on my barely existent knife skills. You can read my other posts, Sharpening My Knife Skills and The Knives Make all the Difference to see my journey as a Chicago Cutlery Ambassador.

I am happy to report that I am using my new knives more confidently every day. A big part of this change is the design of these knives, and the other is not having sliced myself for 2 months and starting to feel like I am not quite all thumbs with sharp instruments. I am pretty sure that bandage companies are currently mourning the loss of a regular customer.

I am excited to announce that Carly, with entry #172, was the winner of my Chicago Cutlery Giveaway. Congrats Carly! I hope she loves her Chef Knife as much as I love mine.

Here is a little video demonstration of the knives at use in my kitchen and my final thoughts. I used the knives to make my favorite dairy-free corn chowder recipe, which you can find at the end of this post.


You can purchase your own Chicago Cutlery DesignPro Knives on Amazon. I can't wait to order and add the Santoku and Partoku knives to make my collection complete. I always thought knives were all the same, but these really showed me knives can be comfortable and safe to use as well as useful.

Seems like every meal at our house has been cause to break out the Chicago Cutlery! I have finely chopped herbs for seasoning, halved squash to bake and diced veggies for morning omelettes, among other things. Now that the weather is turning I will be getting a lot of use out of my knives for homemade bread and fresh, hot soups. Here is one of our favorites:


Andrea's Favorite Dairy-Free Corn Chowder

You Will Need:

  • 4 ears of corn
  • 6 cups reserved water
  • 3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 2 large potatoes, cubed with skin on
  • 3 medium carrots, cubed
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • 3 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
Boil the corn on the cob for 3 minutes. Set the corn aside to cool and reserve 6 cups of water for the soup. 

Cut the corn off the cob and set aside.

Boil the 3 large cubed potatoes till soft. Transfer the potatoes and enough liquid to your blender to puree. Process till smooth. Return the pureed potatoes back to the pot.

Add the chicken stock, cubed potatoes, carrots and onions, garlic and onion powder. Simmer over low heat until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the corn and fresh parsley and let them warm through. Season to taste.

Enjoy!


Overall, I enjoyed being a Chicago Cutlery Ambassador. I think I expect much more out of myself and my knives now. I will continue cooking up a storm, but now I think my tools are also up for the daily challenge. How do your knives stack up?

*Disclaimer I wrote this review while participating in a Brand Ambassador Campaign by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of ChicagoCutlery and received products to facilitate my post and a promotional item to thank me for taking the time to participate. All opinions and experiences are my own.
Andrea
Pin It

20 comments:

  1. I love chowder, we are going to have to make that!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband would LOVE this knife....I like your recipe....THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That chowder looks great, but I was even more excited to get a recommendation on good knives! We've been using the same ones for about 10 years, too - and it's definitely time for us to update. The video was super informative. I'm excited about the grip, because my husband (who does quite a bit of cooking himself) is left-handed and I'm right-handed. I love that we can each take advantage of that feature. Thanks again for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That soup looks summer yummy! And the knife cuts so smoothly. I'm going to have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need some new knives. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so need GOOD knives! Great review :) And, thanks for the yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrea - great video. That recipe looks awesome. We eat a lot of vegan recipes here. I am pinning this one for sure! Thanks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those knives!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband loves to cook but desperately needs new knives and new cutting board. These are great so I will get an order in soon to get him taken care of for the holidays! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to buy these knifes. They seem awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am always looking for good knives. I do waste a lot of money on them and find they are not that good. I should try these. The soup sounds great, my vegan daughter would use vegetable broth, but we would love to make this.
    twinkle at optonline dot net

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUM and those knives are on my Christmas list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved the video! I SO need new knives. These look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We love soups in the fall/winter - Im going to Pin this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you are enjoying the knives and cutting yourself less - that's always a good thing! The chowder sounds delicious and I can't wait to try it this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Someone once told me you are more likely to cut yourself with a dull knife since you try harder to cut with it. Isn't that interesting! This knife cuts those veggies like butter. Oh I want one. And that chowder looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is great these knifes are great for left & right hand people!

    BTW your recipe looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks great and I love the video, very great way to show how easy they are to use and how effective they are!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Andrea, I love my Chicago Cutlery knives, too, and like you, discovered what a difference having the right knife, of a good quality, can make. Great job with your video!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!