Monday, November 26, 2012

A Little Alien Fun to Celebrate Men in Black 3 - #SEEMIB3 #CBias


With the kids being sick and the holidays last week, the whole family desperately needed a pick-me-up and a little silly fun. 

I pre-purchased Men in Black 3 at Walmart last month, and I had a blog post, 'Men in Black is Back! See How to Pre-Purchase #SEEMIB3 at Walmart' on how easy it was to set up a Vudu account. You can see that shopping trip in my Google+ albumWe anxiously waited for the early digital viewing option that came with our pre-purchase. The movie comes out in stores 11/30, on DVD, Blue-Ray/DVD and Ultra Violet combo packs. Our physical disc will arrive at the same time so we can enjoy this movie again and again. But I have to admit it was a lot of fun to see it early. 

To get in the #SEEMIB3 mood, I got the kids involved with several fun projects and devoted an entire day to aliens. My kids love crafts and decorating cookies, so I made alien 'snot', we designed our own alien finger puppets, alien jigglers and created our own aliens on Biscoff flavored Rice Krispie Treats.

Alien 'Snot'

Remember back when we were kids, Nickelodeon covered it's kid shows with slime and 'Gak' was all the rage. Well, this is a homemade version - quite simple, but sure to gross out your kids. We nicknamed it Alien 'Snot' in honor of Men in Black and the countless times 'J' has been slimed by one alien or another.


Only 4 ingredients are needed for this easy recipe:
  • 1 tsp. Borax
  • 1 c. water
Dissolve the Borax in water. Set aside.
  • 4 oz. (1/2 c.) Elmer's School Glue, Blue Gel, Clear or White
  • 1/2 c. water
  • Food coloring (2-3 drops)
In a mixing bowl with a whisk  combine the glue, water and food coloring. Mix well. Add the dissolved Borax and keep mixing. It might seem too loose, but will firm up as you mix it. Drain off excess water as needed, or add more in to dilute it. This is not meant to be consumed. Please watch small children closely since this contains Borax...and we don't want any glue-eaters either.


If feels and looks like Alien 'Snot'. Now who is the coolest Mom ever?


Alien Finger Puppets

My kids love designing things, so I let them help design their own alien finger puppets to use in their puppet theater. I love how inexpensive craft felt is at my local Walmart. I combined this with some other craft supplies I had around the house to create our one-of-a-kind aliens.


Armed with Wiggly eyes, embroidery thread, some pre-cut felt spiders and a hot glue gun, we were only limited by our imaginations. I made mine a more mainstream little green man, but the kids got really creative with directing my hot glue gun.


The results are great. And we have a puppet show planned for later this evening. The kids are going to be busy preparing all afternoon.


Little Green Men Jigglers

The I made some green, lime-flavored Jigglers, cut them out with Easter Egg cookie cutters and cut maraschino cherries for the eyes and sprinkled them with a little sanding sugar. So easy, but always a hit. Just follow the package directions for making Jigglers, then cut out with cutters or free cut with a sharp knife to get your desired shapes.


Decorated Rice Krispie Treats

Lastly, we decorated up some easy to make Rice Krispie Treats. I opted to go the easy route and found a pre-made tube of green frosting, sparkly blue frosting,  picked up some candy eyes and let the kids go to work.


 I think there are a few new alien ideas we may see in an upcoming Men in Black movie, don't you?


After all this fun, it was time to watch the actual Men in Black 3 movie and bonus features on Vudu. My account was all set up, it was just waiting patiently for me in 'my movies'. And right there on the left-hand of the screen it says, "You Own It".


And what did we think of the movie? Well, it was just as clever as the first two, funny and this one even made me cry! Okay, I'm pregnant, so commercials make me cry, but you will love the ending and insight into both "J" and "K" after this movie. The new characters were also fabulous. Borris 'The Animal' was the quintessential villain and I hope to see 'Griff' in another Men in Black movie in the future. My hats off to Josh Brolin for an amazing impression of a young Tommy Lee Jones. Truly, it gave me chills.


Overall, this a must-see movie if you haven't already, or a great one to enjoy again at home. And Vudu? Yes, it is my new favorite way to enjoy a good movie, especially new releases, at home.

Connect with Men in Black on Twitter and Facebook. Also check out the MIB3 Movie Page.


*Disclaimer - I am a member of the Collective Bias®  Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and Sony #CBias #SocialFabric. All opinions and experiences are my own.
Andrea
Pin It

12 comments:

  1. Those finger puppets are totally adorable!! And I still haven't seen MIB3, I need to rectify that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the puppet stage! Bought or built? You always do such fun crafty & food stuff :) How do you find the time?! I guess I need to check out this Walmart pre order stuff. Sounds cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a Melissa & Doug Puppet Theater I got the kids, with a few puppets, a few years back. We have put on countless performances and I see many more finger puppets in our future.

      Delete
  3. You are brave with the snot stuff! I'd be too afraid it would end up all over the house. Sounds like you had a great time, though! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coolest.Mom.Ever. People like you put me to shame. :) Looks like the viewing was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love those rice krispie treats. i want some!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree.. Coolest Mom EVER! Looks like a fun night!
    Kas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you guys had an awesome party! My girls would probably love that slim stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm almost excited for the day my kids are old enough to play with goo and find it awesome. Less excited for the mess though...

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun! I love what all you did for the viewing.

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!