Thursday, June 19, 2014

DIY Sculpey Hair Bow Clip


Last week I share hair clips made from Mod Podge Mod Melts, but this week I was feeling like Sculpey Oven Bake Clay.

My daughter loves getting her hair done so I am always looking for new and creative ideas for hair accessories. This simple bow was an excuse to break out the new Sculpey clay roller - which looks a lot like my pasta maker! My daughter likes the large, shiny resin bows so this is my alternative. It was very easy to make and quick to finish. With baking and drying time, it took less than a day and most of that was hands-off time.

You will need a few items to create this bow. No, you don't need the roller, you could always hand roll the clay with a rolling pin, just try to get it even thickness so it will bake evenly.

You Will Need:
  • Sculpey Clay - Color of your choice. I used white for easy painting.
  • pastry cutter (for the fluted edge)
  • baking sheet lined with parchment
  • paint - I used Martha Stewart's craft paint in Pink Carnation, Easter Egg, Party Streamer and Mardis Gras Beads.
  • paint brush
  • Sculpey roller *optional
  • Sculpey Gloss Glaze *optional
  • hot glue gun
  • flat hair clip

Start by rolling out the clay. This is just to get it an even thickness and smooth. I only put it through a few times and kept it at a level 3 on the rollers.


Then with a knife or pastry cutter, cut the edges. I used a knife to trim the sides and cut a center peices to wrap around.


Fold the clay into thirds lengwise and pinch in the middle. Wrap a center peice around and pinch to secure in the back.


Then it is time to bake! Place on a baking sheet covered in parchment and bake at 275 degrees for 15-20 minutes. This will set and dry your creation.


 Then I decorated the bow. My daughter loves pink and purple, so I created a fun mix of those colors. I started by painting the entire bow Pink Carnation and then once it dried I added the next darker color to the top, each time painting a little less so the color gradient shows.


After it was dry, I covered it in 2 coats of Sculpey Gloss Glaze. This really brought the colors together and made the bow shine.


Once it was dry, I hot glued the clip to the back and was ready to go! 

Since the Sculpey clay is rigid, be sure the clip doesn't bend. It should have a nice flat side.

I hope you enjoy making your own Sculpey Hair Bow Clip. My daughter is loving hers! Now we have plans to make a few more to match her outfits for school next year. We may just have to make one for every outfit.

Now go check out the other inspired crafts in the #TBCCrafters link-up. Today I am guest posting on The Brand Connection Site with my DIY Toy Candle Holders, another fun and easy craft. Happy crafting everyone!





Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!