Thursday, April 9, 2015

DIY Terrarium Necklace


This week I am back to creating jewelry. Of course, while making this fun little trinket, I had my daughter in mind.

Right now my 5-year old is into everything small and magical. And do I need to say that everything in life is magical to a child that age? It is a wondrous thing to watch. If you have been following my blog you know that we had caterpillars to watch over Spring Break. They have all built their chrysalis and we are just waiting for the magical change to butterfly to occur. Now, that is real magic.

I do blame her current fixation  for fairies and magic on all the Disney movies she has been watching. We  recently saw Tinkerbell and the Legend of the NeverBeast. So, I decided to make her a magic terrarium necklace so she can keep a little fairy-sized fun with her all the time.

I saw these tiny little bottle and fell in love.

They are just so cute! I know, think of all the great things you could put in here? I might have to make one with a special message... perhaps a love note? Or pirate treasure map?


Okay, in order to make this terrarium you will need a few supplies.

You Will Need:
  • Glass bottle with cork stopper
  • Moss
  • Sand
  • Necklace Chain
  • Assorted jewelry supplies, clasp, rings, and eye-pins
  • Pliers and Wire cutters

Because I wanted my daughter's necklace to sparkle, I made a little paper funnel and out of scrap paper and then added white sand and gold glitter to the bottle.


Then I pushed down just a little of the green moss. See, this isn't even going to need to be watered! 


Then cut down an eye-pin to be just a little shorter than the cork stopper. Insert the pin in the stopper.


Then cut the chain to size and attack the eye-pin in the stopper with a ring, and then add the clasp to the back. I made this sized for my daughter.


Wear and enjoy! 



Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!